Mount Hermon at a Glance
History of Mt Hermon UMC
"We enter to Worship and depart to Serve."
Sunday, October 5, 2003 we celebrated 250 years of worship at this site now known as Mount Hermon United Methodist Church.
The date 1790 appears on a tombstone in the cemetery showing it was a burial ground at that time.
Regular worship services have been held on these grounds since 1753. It is thought that the Presbyterians organized the worship before it was formally organized into a church by the Methodist.
Mt. Hermon was established in1829 as a Methodist Protestant Church. In September 1830 camp meetings were established to meet every two years.
The earliest records of deeds is 1834 - 11 acres of land were sold by Mr. Foust and a deed for 2 acres was sold by Mr. Albright to the trustees of Mt. Hermon.
Alexander Albright was the first regular pastor.
In 1828 the first annual conference for Methodist Protestant Churches was held in Halifax Count. On February 28, 1834 the conference met at Mt. Hermon. Pastor Albright was elected president.
The conference met again at Mt. Hermon in 1843. Rev. Albright had died and his obituary was read to the conference. Rev. Albright is buried in Mt. Hermon Cemetery. The conference met again at Mt. Hermon in 1847 and elected Rev. Alson Gray president.
Mt. Hermon was one of several churches in the Orange Circuit. However in 1860 the Alamance Circuit was formed with 8 churches. In 1890 the Mt. Hermon charge was formed with Friendship, Haw River, and Bellemount. Later it was made up of Mt. Hermon, Bellemount, Friendship and Cedar Cliff churches.
The church grew and has rebuilt several times. A large building once stood on what is now part of the cemetery and was used for worship and a school. Later ab arbor was used. Before the Civil War a frame building was started and completed during the reconstruction days after the war. In 1890 another frame building was completed.
Mt. Hermon was organized as a Methodist Protestant Church in the 1830's, until 1939 when the Methodist Protestant, the Methodist Episcopal Church South and the Methodist Episcopal Church joined as the Methodist Church. We remained the Methodist Church Until April 23, 1968, when our denomination joined the Evangelical United Brethren to become the United Methodist Church.
The Foundation Class
In the Foundation Class we study a variety of topics and use many different materials. We have open discussions related to the lesson, the Bible, and life issues. Often leadership is shared among members of the class. One thing that makes this class special is that is multi-generational, giving a perspective from different age groups.
When it is the Foundation Class’s time to open Sunday School, they offer breakfast items in the choir room from 9:30 am to 10:00 am. Everyone is invited for a time of fellowship.